About HDF Mercy Centre
The Human Development Fund Mercy Centre is a non-profit religious-based foundation that has been serving the poor people of Klong Toei since 1972.
We work to help the children and communities of the many slums of Bangkok. Together we create simple-but-progressive solutions that touch the lives of thousands of the poor every day. We build and operate schools, improve family health and welfare, protect street children’s rights, combat the AIDS crisis, respond to daily emergencies, and offer shelter to orphans, to street children, and to children and adults with AIDS – always together, hand in hand and heart to heart with the people we serve.
• Founded in 1972
• Co-founder and President: Father Joe Maier, C.Ss.R.
• Co-founder and Director: Sister Maria Chantavoradom
• Geographic reach: Over 35 poor communities in Bangkok, 25 Mokan (ethnic Sea Gypsy) villages in mid-southern provinces, one island in Ranong Province.
• Currently operating 23 schools, 17 other social aid projects
• Sponsored so far over 50,000 homeless and Slams kids